Support in

Cornwall & IOS

There are lots of places in Cornwall and Isles of Scilly where young people can find support and advice

Getting Advice

Places where you can find advice and support

Getting Help

Services in Cornwall & IOS where you can find support for your mental health

Getting Help

Many of us don’t like to ask for help. It can be scary, we might be worried about how people will react or what they will think or say about us. However most of us would want to help our friends if they were struggling, so why would they feel any differently about us?

Asking for help and talking about our feelings can be difficult and takes a lot of courage, but telling someone you trust really can help you to feel better and realise you are not alone.

If it is something specific that is causing you to feel anxious or depressed for example, then a parent, friend or teacher may be able to reassure you or offer practical help to find a solution. Sometimes keeping things to ourselves can make them seem more overwhelming than they really are – the process of ‘offloading’ your worries and saying things out loud to someone else can make them seem less scary and release pent up emotions. Someone outside of your situation might be able to offer a different perspective and help you to see things in a new light.

Trying to explain what is going on inside your head can also help you to understand and sort through your feelings and work out what’s really worrying you.

It’s important to remember that you are not alone and you are not the only one to feel like this – everyone will experience emotional difficulties at some point, and many young people and adults have problems with mental health and struggle to cope at times. The good news is that people can help and you don’t need to manage everything alone. It is important not to spend too much time on your own when you are feeling low or vulnerable.

Finding Support in Cornwall and the IOS

There are lots of places in Cornwall and Isles of Scilly where young people can find support and advice around their emotional wellbeing and mental health. These include schools, colleges, GP surgeries and youth centres. It is a good idea to speak to a family member/carer, teacher or pastoral support worker, youth worker or family doctor if you are struggling.

Want some information or advice? Need more specialist care? or are you simply worried about your own or a friend’s mental health? Browse the sections above to find out about other local services which you can contact or visit if you need to talk to someone.

Need help now?

If you need to speak to someone urgently call your GP or family doctor!


Childline up to 19yrs : 0800 1111
The Samaritans: 116 123
In an emergency go to A&E or call 999